Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Lessons from "Tangled"

I don't know how many of you saw the movie "Tangled"?  Our family just watched it and there are a couple things I'd like to say about it.

When will my life begin?

"Stuck in the same place I've always been
I just keep wanderin' and wanderin' and
wanderin' and wanderin' 
when will my life begin?"
-Tangled


A lot of girls these days when they get out of high school or college (if you go for that sort of thing - this is another topic altogether) and wonder 'when will my life begin?'  The thing they are missing is that their lives began at conception.  They don't have to wait for anything.  They should be focusing on the roll God called them to play at THIS moment in their lives.  Sometimes they think that it will begin when they get married or have kids - but if you are feeling like this now then when you get married you will feel the same way, and then when you have kids.  As a young lady in my father's house what I need to be focusing on now is learning from my wonderful mother how to keep a home and serve in the community.  She is a beautiful example of both of those things and I aspire to be just like her!  Even if I don't get married I still have an important roll God has called me to play in this world and I need stay busy in the things He has me doing now.

The mother - daughter relationship:

The other thing I noticed in the Tangled movie is the terrible mother-daughter relationship this portrays.  I know the witch is pretending to be her mother but it really makes it seem like it is O.K. to be rebellious to your authorities - which when you are in the home are your mother and father.  Colossians 3:20 ESV says "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the LORD."  It pleases the LORD when we as children obey their parents.  Now, if you have a parent who is directly disobeying the commands of the LORD then there is a time to make an appeal.  But for the most part your parents are teaching you how to follow God in these years and you should have an open relationship with them - tell them all your worries and problems, and talk stuff over with them.  It is important to have a good relationship with your parents so that they can guide you.

Colossians 3:20-24 ESV says "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. (21) Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged. (22) Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. (23) Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, (24) knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ."

Proverbs 30:17 ESV says "The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures."

Proverbs 1:8-9 ESV says "Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, (9) for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck."

I'm not saying that it is bad to watch movies like this - but you should watch them with a critic's mind.  You should think about what you watched and discuss it with your family.  Tangled was a cute movie that we did enjoy, but Hollywood likes to ingrain seeds of rebellion and discontent into their movies that slowly undermines the way you live.  It makes it seem ok to show contempt for parents when the Bible strictly warns you to honor your parents.  Now, what that means for me is when I see something in a movie that I think questionable I ask my parents and see for myself what the Bible says about it.  Usually my parents will see more than I do and ask me what I thought of the movie and then explain to us kids what was wrong with it.  I am so blessed to have wonderful parents that teach us the Scriptures and lead us to godliness so that we are 'prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks, to give the reason for the hope that we have.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please leave one!

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Ephesians 4:29